ADVERTThe National Police Service has launched a sweeping crackdown in Homa Bay following the violence that disrupted the Linda Mwananchi political caravan, arresting 37 suspected gang members and widening investigations to those accused of organizing, financing or facilitating the unrest.
The arrests came barely 24 hours after Sunday’s turbulent political tour, which descended into running battles, attacks on journalists, destruction of vehicles and the death of a police officer—turning Homa Bay into the latest flashpoint in Kenya’s increasingly charged political landscape ahead of the 2027 General Election.
The NPS said the suspects were found carrying an assortment of crude weapons, including machetes, knives, metal rods, ropes, rungus, batons and torches.
Police have also singled out Oliver Jaoko, alias “Olivetti,” whom they say remains at large and have directed him to surrender to the nearest police station to assist with ongoing investigations.
Police death raises stakes
ADVERTThe crackdown follows a particularly violent confrontation during the Linda Mwananchi tour of Homa Bay on Sunday, August 16.
According to the NPS, criminal incidents included attacks on journalists covering the event, damage to five police vehicles deployed for public-order duties and destruction of several civilian vehicles.
The situation turned fatal when a police vehicle lost control, killing its driver and injuring five other officers.
The latest casualties came on top of three officers injured a day earlier during an operation along the Kisumu-Kericho Road, bringing the number of injured officers in the linked Kisumu and Homa Bay incidents to eight.
The death of the officer has added a serious security dimension to what had begun as a political contest over access to one of Nyanza’s most politically consequential counties.
Warnings came before the chaos
The violence did not come entirely without warning.
On Saturday, August 15, the NPS announced that its officers had intercepted 15 suspected gang members travelling along the Kisumu-Kericho Road. Police said the suspects were carrying crude weapons and preliminary investigations suggested they had allegedly been hired to disrupt political activities in Homa Bay.
The following morning, the police publicly cautioned politicians, rally organisers and their supporters against incitement and provocation.
Officers deployed to political gatherings were also instructed to maintain professionalism, impartiality and restraint while protecting the constitutional right to peaceful assembly.
Yet hours later, roads were reportedly barricaded with stones and logs as the Linda Mwananchi convoy moved through parts of the county, with clashes subsequently erupting between rival groups.
Reports indicate that the violence affected the caravan’s movements through Nyandiwa, Sindo and Homa Bay Town, with vehicles vandalised and one vehicle reportedly set ablaze. Several people, including journalists, were injured.
Journalists caught in the crossfire
The attacks on the media have emerged as one of the most disturbing features of the Homa Bay violence.
Four journalists were reportedly attacked while covering the confrontations, while equipment and a media vehicle were damaged. Among those reportedly assaulted were journalists Fred Ooko and Brian Ongoro, prompting condemnation from political leaders and renewed concerns over the safety of journalists during Kenya’s increasingly aggressive political mobilisation.
The Media Council of Kenya has separately raised alarm over a wider increase in attacks against journalists, saying 18 media practitioners had been attacked in two months.
The Homa Bay incident therefore risks becoming more than another episode of political heckling and stone-throwing. It has placed the protection of journalists, political freedoms and the credibility of the security apparatus squarely in the national spotlight.
Police widen investigation beyond the streets
In its latest statement, the NPS made clear that the operation will not stop with the 37 people already in custody.
Police say they will pursue individuals suspected of organizing, recruiting, financing, mobilizing or arming criminal elements for political violence.
That language could significantly widen the investigation if detectives establish evidence linking the street-level violence to people operating behind the scenes.
The NPS warned that political rallies cannot be used as cover for criminal gangs or armed groups.
The service has also reminded political organisers that public rallies should take place between 6am and 6pm, with the requisite notification to police to facilitate security planning and deployment.
Linda Mwananchi rejects police narrative
But the police account is being fiercely contested by the Linda Mwananchi leadership.
The movement has accused the authorities of failing to protect its leaders and supporters, alleging that the violence was coordinated and premeditated rather than a spontaneous breakdown of law and order.
Linda Mwananchi leaders further alleged that some police officers appeared to operate alongside attackers instead of protecting the convoy.
The movement also claimed it had received information that some people involved in the disruption had been transported to Homa Bay from Kisumu, Siaya, Migori, Kisii and Nairobi specifically to interfere with its political activities. Those claims remain allegations and would require independent verification.
Linda Mwananchi has vowed to continue with its political activities despite the violence, framing the confrontation as part of a broader struggle over political space ahead of 2027.
Homa Bay becomes an early warning for 2027
The deeper significance of the Homa Bay violence may lie beyond the 37 arrests.
With Kenya already entering an increasingly intense pre-election period, the events have revived uncomfortable questions about the role of youth mobilisation, political militias, security agencies and state power in electoral competition.
Homa Bay occupies particular political importance because of its longstanding association with the opposition and the legacy of former Prime Minister Raila Odinga.
Political leaders from across the divide have condemned the violence.
Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka described the attackers as militias and warned that the escalation threatens the country’s democratic process. Former Attorney General Justin Muturi similarly cautioned that violence and intimidation ahead of the 2027 election could set a dangerous precedent.
The National Cohesion and Integration Commission has also begun the process of summoning political actors it considers responsible for the unrest.
The real test begins now
For the NPS, the 37 arrests offer an opportunity to demonstrate that its warning before the rally was more than a public-relations exercise.
The crucial question will be whether the investigation follows the evidence wherever it leads—whether to street-level perpetrators, political organisers, financiers or anyone else found to have facilitated violence.
For Linda Mwananchi, the challenge is equally stark: proving its allegations of organised intimidation while ensuring its own supporters do not become part of the cycle of confrontation.
And for the country, Homa Bay offers an ominous lesson.
If political rallies are increasingly accompanied by hired gangs, crude weapons, blocked roads, attacks on journalists and clashes with police, the danger is no longer confined to one county. It is a warning about the kind of politics Kenya could face as 2027 draws closer.
The immediate hunt is for the remaining suspects.
The bigger test is whether Kenya can prevent Homa Bay from becoming a rehearsal for something far more dangerous.
ADVERT